Upcycled Domed Bottle Cap Pendants

Taking a little break from drawing and painting this week to make some upcycled bottlecap pendants. I've made these in the past and really wanted to make an effort to clear some clutter from the studio. Knocking out a good amount of bottle caps this time.

 I wanted to share a bit of the process for making the Bottle Cap Pendants with you all. I plan on updating this post with a follow up video.



I want to point out that I did not get all of the caps I use from drinking at home. LoL. While I do enjoy a good beer from time to time, I'm not a daily or even weekly drinker. A good amount of the caps came from friends and family.

 If you have bottle caps you would like domed you can contact me for commission pricing and turn-around times. To purchase some of these fancy handcrafted pendants go HERE.




                                           THE PROCESS



1. Sanding off the original images with a handheld sanding block and my DREMEL so the base paint will adhere properly. There are original versions in my shop for those that want to show their love and appreciation for their favorite beers / sodas. For the caps I create art on, I sand, wash, and prime them.


2. Dap..dap..dapping. For the domed tops I tend to dap them before sanding and priming. Its a long and tiring process but the effect is really great. Each domed cap goes thru 3 different sized dapping areas to reach the final shape and size. A rubber mallet is used to get the caps in shape.


Where to buy that thing?





3. BASE PAINT! I use spray paint to create the base color for the caps. Often it takes several coats to get all areas covered. This is nothing more than a waiting game. Wait for them to dry, check the caps. If they need another coat, spray again...and more waiting. While they are drying I make thumbnails of the art I want to create on each. Plan out the colors and designs that will be used for each.


4. Together! An image of my workspace covered in cap creations and tools. Pliers for crimping and securing each dome to its base. Cordless Ryobi drill for making holes to secure the jump rings. 
At one time I thought about creating a large mural using caps but opted to make these pendants. With the pendants, each one is a small work of art that someone can wear and enjoy. 


  Here are a few pictures of the recent creations. They are mandala inspired. 






These are available in my storenvy shop. Check back soon for the video!! 




Comments